Tuesday, June 10, 2008

TUR-Ki-YE! TURKIYE!


Turkey just came back from being down 2-0 against the Czech Republic and beat them 3-2! It was AMAZing to watch! I want to run around on the street draped in a flag, yell and hug strangers, grow hoarse from celebrating. Man, do I wish I was in Turkey right now. I called my brother and could hear all the car horns beeping away on the street. Now I turned on the TV but all there is is freaking NASCAR and Sportscenter has an interview with the whole Manning clan. The three of them (father and both sons) are standing sheepishly before the camera in matching polos and reminiscing about their Father's Day traditions.

Man! What the F? I want to see people talking about THE GAME! I want to hear analysis of the positions, fellow marveling, wonder, acknowledgment of the glorious game and comeback and victory that I just witnessed! Is that too much to ask, people? Huh? How is it that this entire country does not give a hoot about soccer? I mean, I know that's how it's always been and everything but you cannot imagine how lonely it feels to be just stifled with a great big joy in your throat. It's like a bite you can't swallow. It's stuck! I'm stuck! I'm stuck out here in the world's most anachronistic boondock, with a bunch of people who don't care that Jesus just walked on water!

argh. Yes, I exaggerate, but only a little. Ah well, my dears, at least I can release my emotions to you! You should have seen it: First of all, the Czechs are at least 6 inches taller than the Turkish team, so they get all the headers. In the first half they kept the ball in the air most of the time and scored one goal. In the second half Turkey was attacking a lot but then the Czechs got a fast break and scored a second goal. It really seemed all over-- I was sure that we were outclassed, as well as  topped. But then, at the 76th minute! we got a goal. And then we tied on the 83rd minute and then we scored the winning goal a few minutes after that. It was so crazy tense: this would have been the first time in history an elimination round went to penalty kicks if we had tied: so dead even were the scores between the Czech Republic and Turkey. And then, after we got the lead and there were another 4 unbearably long minutes of stoppage time our goalie Volkan shoved and felled this big oaf Koller (who looks like the non-Buscemi killer guy from Fargo) and, to be honest, helped me get a vicarious thrill, but at the same time the ref saw so he got a red card and got KICKED OUT of the game! We had no one to put in his stead (all the substitutions were used up) so Tuncay, one of the forwards, put on the goalie jersey and he looked so hilariously shrunken between the goals it was terrifying. But we did it we did it we diiid it! Turkey is now in the quarter finals!

So, watch the quarter finals game -- this Friday I think. Turkey plays Croatia this time. And then we can talk about it... right here, if nowhere elese.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://www.outsports.com/jocktalkblog/?p=742